Write better anchor text
Posted by Ouali Rezouali on 12 December 2012 01:40 PM
Write better anchor text
Suitable anchor text makes it easy to convey the contents linked
Anchor text is the clickable text that users will see as a result of a link, and is placed within the anchor tag <a href="..."></a>.
This text tells users and Google something about the page you're linking to. Links on your page maybe internal—pointing to other pages on your site—or external—leading to content on other sites. In either of these cases, the better your anchor text is, the easier it is for users to navigate and for Google to understand what the page you're linking to is about.
Links and Anchor Text on your Cabanova Website
Internal, External and Download Links can be easily created within the Cabanova Sitebuilder and it's very easy to define the Anchor Text
Edit the text box containing the text you’d like to set as a link by left-clicking on it
- Using the mouse left-button, select the text which will be set as a link
- Click on the ‘Link’ icon and the ‘Link type’ window will pop up
1. To set the selected text as an External Link pointing to an external Website:
2. To set the selected text as an Internal Link pointing to a Webpage of your Website:
3. To set the selected text as a Download Link:
Choose descriptive text
The anchor text you use for a link should provide at least a basic idea of what the page linked to is about.
- writing generic anchor text like "page", "article", or "click here"
- using text that is off-topic or has no relation to the content of the page linked to
- using the page's URL as the anchor text in most cases
- although there are certainly legitimate uses of this, such as promoting or referencing a new website's address
Write concise text
Aim for short but descriptive text-usually a few words or a short phrase.
writing long anchor text, such as a lengthy sentence or short paragraph of text
Format links so they're easy to spot
Make it easy for users to distinguish between regular text and the anchor text of your links. Your content becomes less useful if users miss the links or accidentally click them.
- making links look just like regular text
Think about anchor text for internal links too
You may usually think about linking in terms of pointing to outside websites, but paying more attention to the anchor text used for internal links can help users and Google navigate your site better.
- using excessively keyword-filled or lengthy anchor text just for search engines